Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm pretty much on my own.

I’m leery of editors. Because I think most of ‘em would try to make me more conventional. In my writing style. They want me to follow rules. They want to make me less free. Less me. Maybe I’m leery of teachers, too. For the same reason. They want to make learning far too burdensome. To learn by rote. I think writing and learning should be fun. Experimental. Exploratory. An adventure. I like to learn mostly by making mistakes. By feeling my way. On my own. And I don’t like tests. Because too often we are being taught to pass a test. To make us better robots. When I went to college, I had a double major. In English. In history. But I wish I had majored in love. Only thing is, nobody offers a degree in love. So, I’m pretty much on my own. –Jim Broede

No comments: