Thursday, May 7, 2009

When we humans play god.

I’m gonna play god today. Makes me a bit uneasy. I’ll decide the fate of living things. Trees. Which ones will live. Which will die. The decision is being forced, in part, by the local utility company. Some trees are perceived as threats to the overhead power lines. In storms, they could come down. And disrupt the power. In many cases, the trees need only to be topped. Trimmed. I have many trees in my yard. Far more than my neighbors. They like openness. Green lawns. I’m for shade. Trees. Trees. Trees. All kinds of trees. Big trees. Small trees. Hundreds of species. I have a row of Black Hills spruce trees along the driveway on the north side of my lot. They must be 60 or 70 years old. Aged. Senior citizens. Like me. Getting a bit shaggy. Two of ‘em look like they are dying. They’re tall trees. Reaching for the sun. Trying to prolong their lives. But the power company tree-trimmers think it’s time. They are encouraging me to fell the whole line of spruce. Because of the proximity to the power lines. And after years of resistance, I’m inclined to go along. In part, because other trees have seeded themselves naturally. Beneath these trees. Mostly oaks and maples. And they need more space to fully thrive. So it’s a trade-off. Besides, the power company will do the dirty work. For free. No charge. I’ve got another spruce, too. On the east side of the lot. One that has been topped repeatedly to stay just below the power lines. And it doesn’t look pretty. Spruce trees weren’t made to be topped. So I’ll acquiesce and allow that one to come down, too. There’s a fast-growing sugar maple tree that the trimmers want to take down. But I’ll resist that to the death. Sure, it has to be trimmed. Topped. But there’s a lovely branch growing out over the road and beneath the power lines. That can become the unique focal point of this tree. It’ll have an unusual shape, an unusual personality. And a long life. Yes, we all deserve a long life. But sooner or later we die. Sometimes on our own. Other times when we humans decide to play god. –Jim Broede

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Utilities are required to trim trees to improve safety, efficiency, and reliability. The National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) requires your utility
company to trim trees that may interfere with overhead utility lines. (Untrimmed trees can result in outages, damages, injuries, and even deaths if not appropriately maintained). Even trees too close to a charged line, can be affected by an arc of electricity, endangering anyone or thing near the tree, and the tree itself.

YOU don't have much to say about it, if the trees are in the way of the power lines. I would also move the saplings away from the lines, to prevent unnecessary hassles down the road. Think of all the money that could be saved, if the power companies did not have to hire crews to do this constant trimming.

How considerate of you to allow us (consumers) to pay to have your trees removed.