Thursday, June 4, 2009

Butterflies set a nice example.

I think it's sad that so many people lack confidence. In themselves. They don't believe in themselves. They think of themselves as failures. Or under-achievers. That's my impression. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe my sense of reality is warped. I know there are other people who appear to be over-confident. With inflated egos. But even some of 'em could be putting on an act. They may lack confidence, too. As for me, I need confidence to a large degree. I have to believe in what I believe. In the goodness of life. In the romantic. In liberalism. In my kind of god. Yes, and most of all, in my sweet love. I think that somewhere along the line in my life I came to conclusions about what I really wanted to believe. So I resolved, believe it. And I'm not being any more crazy than religious zealots. Only thing is, I'm not a religious zealot. I'm a live and let live sort of guy. People don't have to think like me. I want 'em all to be free. Free as butterflies. The nice thing about butterflies -- they don't seem to cause harm to anyone. They just go about their business. And make the most of their short lives. Many live only a few weeks. The long-lived ones reach 6 months. But still, they go about their lives rather confidently. Butterflies set a nice example for the rest of us. --Jim Broede

No comments: