Thursday, June 25, 2009

I'm a lover. But no Don Juan.

I can be what I want to be. That makes me blessed. In other words, I am what I am. I announced it here. When I started this blog. A romantic idealist. A free thinker. A political and social liberal. A lover. Oh, I could choose other pursuits. But hey, I'm comfortable with me. And I have time to be what I am. Because I'm retired. I don't have to play the game of having a career. I write. I made my living by being a writer. But now I strictly write what I want to write. This blog, for instance. And I pretty much say what I want to say. Within reason, of course. I occasionally piss off conservatives and religious fanatics. Which is all right. Can't please everyone. And I wouldn't want to. I have no desire to change 'em. But they'd like to change me. That's where we have a parting of ways. I'm a live and let-live guy. I suppose that above all else, I want to be a lover. Not only of life. But of someone special. That one-on-one relationship. Because it's real. No longer abstract. If I can't love one other in a special and unconditional way -- well, then love would be a sham. This idea that one must love everyone, even one's enemies, is pure poppycock. It's impossible. But I can and have fallen in love with one other. Yes, one at a time. I can't have two lovers at once. That would split me in half. Divide my very being. My loyalty. I can like multiple human beings. And even say I 'love' them to some abstract degree, I suppose. But I can be totally committed to only one at a time. I have to be focused. I'm no Don Juan. That would spread me far too thin. --Jim Broede

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rest easy, Jim. No one wants to change you. No one is "pissed off". I don't see any conservatives or religious fanatics here. Not much of anybody. Be who you want, do what you want, write what you want, love how you want...who cares!

You must not have children. Mothers and fathers know how easy it is to love more than one, unconditionally. Our love is capable.

Broede's Broodings said...

The problem with understanding is that the same words often have different meanings for different individuals. Take the word 'love,' for instance. One person may assume that to like someone very much is love. But that isn't necessarily so. What does the statement, 'I love you' really mean? One can love someone conditionally. Or unconditionally. There's quite a difference. There is diluted love and pure love. You ask, who cares? I suspect that one must care in order to love. If one doesn't give a damn, I suppose it would be hard to love. If not impossible.

Also, it is possible you don't see any conservatives or religious fanatics here because you are too close to the forest to see the trees. You, yourself, may be a conservative and a fanatic and not know it. Again, depends on one's definition. Often, for an intelligent discussion, we must come to terms with terms. Otherwise, we are speaking different languages. It's very nice when two people really try and want to understand each other. That may be part of the love process. --Jim

Anonymous said...

I have only been here a couple of times but, I see you still approve what is printed.

What I meant by "who cares?", is that I really do not see anyone "pissed off", or giving any indication that they care what you write. I was not referring to loving without caring.

By the way,
"I'm still trying to get it right. To learn how to love my enemies, for instance. I've made some progress."

"As for me, I try to love my enemies. That's what I was taught in Sunday School. It's a concept I'm trying to embrace."

"If I'm able to love my so-called enemy, then maybe I will no longer have enemies. Isn't that a nice thought?"

All your quotes. Now, it's all poppycock?

Broede's Broodings said...

Yes, some of my thinking is poppycock. I'll be the first to admit it. I'm feeling my way through life. Can't be absolutely sure about anything. But some days I'm more sure about things than other days. Like loving one's enemies. I know it's an ideal to aim for. Even though most days it seems like pure poppycock. Similar to walking on water. That dreamer guy Jesus tells me it's possible. And in the theoretical sense, I believe him. That belief/faith makes all things possible. But as long as I have one iota of doubt, it's poppycock. Unachievable, in practical earthly terms. But I'm trying to keep an open mind. Maybe he's right. Maybe he's wrong. I need more evidence before making a final conclusion. The more I learn, the more I learn how much I don't know. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Yes, I still do approve what is printed. It's my way of curbing the wild-eyed conservatives and religious fanatics that I tend to draw and alienate. That's why you don't see them here. I draw a line. Otherwise, they'd try to take over my blog. It's my blog. Not their blog. I tolerate you because you aren't foaming at the mouth and you don't seem fanatical. You seem reasonable and sane. At least at the moment. --Jim