Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Is it beyond our control?

I know people in depression. And often, I'm told, leave them alone. Respect their privacy. They'll find their own way out. But let's face it. Some don't find their way. Or to put it another way, they find a destructive way. Then it's too late to intervene. Too late to help. Of course, we can assume that all people are inherently strong. And that they'll find constructive ways out of their funks. Or maybe they aren't even in a funk. And all this is a figment of an outsider's imagination. But depressed people do commit suicide. From time to time. That's a proven fact. But then, what do I know? I didn't think my dad was suicidal. I know other people, too, that did themselves in. Sometimes, to my surprise. All I know is that people tend to do strange things when they are in depression. Do we just steer clear? As outsiders, is it something beyond our control? --Jim Broede

No comments: