Wednesday, June 3, 2009

We want our own little privacy.

I know this is a controversial subject. Suicide. I'm of the opinion that most suicides can be prevented. The problem is that too often we don't see a suicide coming. We're blind. And even if we see it coming, we are reluctant to intervene. Because then we're getting too personal. And how do we know if someone is bent on taking his/her own life? So, we steer clear. Sick people make us uncomfortable. Especially the mentally ill. For instance, I used to avoid going to nursing homes. Especially into the memory care units, where Alzheimer patients reside. Seemed a little too depressing for me. But then my Jeanne went into the nursing home. With dementia. And I began to see sick people close up. Daily. They were real people. And I was able to reach many of 'em. And many reached me. I put forth some time and effort. And emotional energy. I learned to care. I think that's the problem in dealing with sick people. Many of us don't really care enough. And above all else, we don't want to be uncomfortable. Maybe that's why we give mentally and physically sick people their privacy. They'd impose too much on us. We want our own little privacy. So that we don't become overly concerned about others. --Jim Broede

No comments: