Friday, July 3, 2009

A guy can dream, can't he?

I think I'm for big government. Don't know for sure. To put it another way, I'm for big government that works. That gets things done. Brings some degree of unity to the world. Serves the common good. Many Americans disagree with me on that score. And maybe they're right. It's possible that big government can be bad. Very bad. But it doesn't have to be. I'd like to see more reliance on world government. To see to it that everyone has the basic necessities of life. Food. Shelter. Health care. Education. In other words, we should be taking care of each other. That's my idea of the ideal world. Probably won't ever happen. But hey, a guy can dream, can't he? Maybe we start with a more powerful United Nations. And by getting more countries to join the existing World Court. Some of our conservative American politicians would oppose that. Because they might be put on trial for war crimes. Maybe they'd beat the rap. But maybe not. Anyway, I suspect there are many, many worlds in the cosmos. And maybe in a million years, we'll start making contact with other civilizations. And we'll think of ourselves as full-fledged earthlings. Rather than mere Americans or Chinese or Germans or Italians. --Jim Broede

No comments: