Tuesday, September 1, 2009

As does falling in love.

I think I have plenty of empathy for others. But I learned very early in life to sheath myself in protective armor, of sorts. To not get too distraught over events in life over which I have no control. Maybe that's my way of taking control of my life. My sister and my brother never learned that skill. That's why they always had difficulty coping. Maybe this makes me seem cold and heartless and cruel. But that's not the way I see it. I think I am warm and understanding and kind. But in order to be all these things, I have to protect myself. I can't allow myself to lose control. And I do that with my attitude. To look at the bright side. The positive side. Of virtually all bad situations. A death, for instance. The loss of a loved one. Yes, shit happens. But I'm not gonna let it foul me. I'll take a shower or bathe in the lake or go beneath a waterfall in Paradise and wash the shit away. Often, I do it with my writing. Writing gives me an opportunity to make sense of life. To not get discouraged. As does falling in love. --Jim Broede

No comments: