Monday, September 28, 2009

I'll stick with 'Jim' for now.

When people call me 'James,' I don't always respond. Often, I think they're talking to someone else. I'm so used to Jim. My whole life I've gone by that name. I'm even listed in the phone book under Jim. And all of my bylined stories were Jim. I don't particularly like the name James. But Jim -- well, it ain't bad. But I'd like a first name with more pizzaz. I could settle for James in another language. In Czech, for instance, it's Vaclav. And in Italian, it's Giacomo. Imagine me as Vaclav Broede. Or Giacomo Broede. Sounds rather distinctive. Less ordinary than James. Of course, I could get fancy by just using my initials. J. B. Broede. Or how about my middle name? I could be J. Bruce Broede. But I suspect it'd be too much hassle to start going by another name. Unless I want to hide out. So, I'll stick with 'Jim' for now. --Jim Broede

4 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

A woman keeps writing to me and insists on calling me George and Georgie. Says I remind her of one of her boyfriends named George. She's anonymous. Won't tell me her name. But I have a feeling it's LuluBelle. She reminds me of a looney tune woman I used to know. And her name was LuluBelle. Yes, she was a real ding-a-ling. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Anyway, it goes to show that my blog draws all kinds. Some very nice and sensible people. And a few ding-a-lings. But everyone is welcome. I don't discriminate against ding-a-lings. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I have a hunch that this woman's boyfriend was the original Georgie Porgie. He had a habit of running away. Maybe from this woman. And that's left the woman rather bereft. And now she's looking for another Georgie. Good gawd. Doesn't she realize I'm not Georgie?

Georgie Porgie pudding and pie,
Kissed the girls and made them cry
When the boys came out to play,
Georgie Porgie ran away.

I'd run away, too. Very fast. From the likes of this scary woman. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Actually, this woman is a fabricator. And one deals with fabricators by fabricating back. --Jim