Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I want to feel somewhat superior.

One of you anonymous posters asked me, "Why on earth, would anyone CHOOSE to be unhappy, unless they have a mental deficiency?"

Yes, I suppose it's a mental problem. Fact is, some choose unhappiness even if they don't have to. For whatever reason. And some of 'em even begrudge happy people their happiness. They can't stand to see happiness in others. I know some of 'em. They write to me. And they're terribly unhappy. And they tell me I have no right to be happy. And that I could well be faking my happiness. They suggest that I act happy primarily to annoy them. That if I was a decent guy, I'd act unhappy even if I was happy. Of course, that confuses me. I'm dealing with real nut cases. I don't mean to belittle 'em. I just encourage them to go in for treatment. To see a psychiatrist. When I tell them that, they often get more annoyed. Even livid. They accuse me of acting superior. That I'm the one that should be seeing a psychiatrist. So that I learn how to feel inferior. But I don't want to do that. Because I really want to keep feeling good and happy -- and yes, somewhat superior. --Jim Broede

3 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

Wouldn't it be nice if unhappy people could read this thread and burst out laughing? That could put them on the right track. They would have learned to laugh. Especially at the absurdity of life. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

The writer Norman Cousins cured a serious illness with laughter therapy. He wrote a book about it. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Oh, we Americans. We change so slowly. Too slowly. We get mired into morally wrong policies, morally wrong pursuits. And we just stick with it. Look how long it took us to get rid of slavery. And to give blacks and women equal rights. In some ways, they're still lacking equality. We still have a society with racist strains. And we resist universal health care even when every other industrialized nation in the world has it. And we still have capital punishment. Mainly for blacks and poor people. The rich can hire fancy lawyers and save their fat asses. And find ways to widen the gap between the rich and poor. But there's one thing the power structure can't take away from us. I'm still able to fall in love. That offsets all the pitfalls and makes me a happy camper. --Jim