Friday, October 2, 2009

Maybe even 1,000 times better.

I have a strong sense of right and wrong. But that doesn't stop me from doing wrong. Daily. I live with it. When it bothers my conscience no end, then I do something about it. For instance, I know it's wrong to eat meat. Chicken and fish, too. I am not supposed to kill anything for the sake of eating it. So I let others do the killing. The butchers of the world. In fact, my maternal grandfather was a butcher. That's the way he made his living. I couldn't make my living that way. I'd quickly become a vegetarian if I had to kill the animals. Maybe if I were starving, I'd do it. Out of desperation. Just to survive. That's probably how we humans became butchers. Or hunters. Because it seemed like our only option if we wanted to survive. Anyway, I'm addicted to meat, to fowl, to fish. I was raised on it. I like the taste. The nice feeling of satisfying my appetite. Pleasure. I suppose the same reason people drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes. For the pleasure. For the satisfaction. Even though they know it could kill 'em some day. Seems to me it's all right if you want to kill yourself. But not to kill others. Not even animals. In a perfect world, there's no killing. No taking of life. Human or animal. Maybe that's why I see life in Paradise or Heaven or Nirvana as spiritual in nature. The spirit has no physical body. One doesn't have to kill for sustenance. One truly lives by the spirit. I'm trying to do that now. But it seems impossible as long as I live in a physical world. However, I'm beginning to understand the spirit. I'm able to grasp the concept. I'm even learning how to love. Spiritually. Oh, the physical aspects of love are wonderful, too. Indeed, very pleasurable. But the spiritual is 10 times better. Maybe even 100 times, or 1,000 times. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I have spent time in Paradise. And believe me, it's wonderful. One captures the moment. As if it's forever. Time truly stops. It's the most pleasant of human experience. --Jim