Friday, October 2, 2009

I'm gonna cultivate more desire.

Desire. It’s a hard ingredient to measure. Even within one’s self. I suspect desire often counts more than talent. As a writer, I’m motivated by desire. I think I have more desire than innate talent. I want to express myself. So, I find ways. Natural ways. I put in the time and effort. Desire. During good weeks, I have an abundance of desire. Of course, it’s difficult maintaining desire at a high pitch all the time. Impossible. One becomes tired. Exhausted. But when I am in love, I have so very much desire. Often, desire to spare, it seems. I’m pumped up. Turned on. I’m able to write love letters every night. Out of desire. But even when I was writing for newspapers, I was most prolific when I was full of desire. To write a good story. About a topic that touched my spirit, my soul. In meaningful ways. When I was deeply in love with life, I wrote my best stories. Out of desire. I might have stayed up all night. To write. I am disappointed in people that lack desire. Maybe it’s a form of laziness. That means I can be disappointed in myself. For not having enough desire at a given moment. Lately, I have been disappointed in the Chicago Cubs. They are playing out the string. Hardly able to wait for the end of their baseball season this Sunday. Their heart isn’t into the game. They have no desire. I see it every day. So many people without an ounce of desire. It’s sad. I suppose there’s nothing I can do about it. Other than to cultivate more desire within me. –Jim Broede

2 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

In the past two years, I've cultivated a desire to travel. So that's what I've done. I've been to Venice and Trieste and the Italian Alps, to Germany and France and Switzerland. And to Edinburgh and the Scottish Highlands. And in the next year or two I want to go to St. Petersburg and Berlin and Prague. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Last year I even visited the home of Karl Marx in Germany. That was a thrill. --Jim