Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fat chance.

One vote makes a difference. That’s hogwash. Bull crap. My vote never made a difference in a national or state election. Wouldn’t have mattered if I hadn’t gone to the polls. And just because I have the right to vote doesn’t mean I live in a democracy. That’s how some people are fooled into thinking they live in a democracy. They can vote. Even though the vote really doesn’t count. Besides, they have so few choices. Often, there’s hardly a difference between candidates. Bad. And worse. And in reality, the ultimate decisions will be made by lobbyists and big corporations. The people with money. They buy the legislative votes. Largely, by financing campaigns. They’re the real decision-makers, not the voters that elect our so-called representatives. We’re fooled into thinking that we have the final say. We’ve been duped. We don’t even bother to think about it. Oh, I suppose if I’m gonna be objective about it, there’s been an occasion or two when my vote made a difference. When I was on a school board. And something passed 3-2. With my vote being pivotal. But in a national, state or county election my vote never made a difference. I could just as well have stayed at home. And even if my preferred candidate won by a single vote, that would have been negated by the lobbyist that got to him/her. And even if I were elected to office, my colleagues would have been bought off. So my vote probably wouldn’t make a difference. Of course, I’m not quite a total cynic. I still vote. What the heck. Maybe some day it’ll make a real difference. Fat chance. –Jim Broede

8 comments:

Donell said...

On the other hand if everyone felt the way you did and decided 1 vote means nothing. Then we have a much larger number whom don't vote. Now we have more than 1 vote uncounted.

Same as if everyone felt the way you do, issues wouldn't be brought forward. All things would remain the same. There would be no longer money for cures. Some people who do care they make thier voices heard. The make sure people hear them. They don't sit at a computer writing in a small time blog. They make contacts, they get supporters with facts. One person may get the support of the "big corporations" the ideas have to come from someone.
Here in your blog your ideas stop here. Your ideas flip and flop. They reach no one. Not everyone can be bought.
Personally what I see here is you trying to just get under people's skin. You always seem to try and bring forth the negative. You try to bring an argument.

Broede's Broodings said...

Hey, Donell, my ideas never stop. I'm trying to think all the time. Doesn't matter if no one listens. At least I listen to myself. Some of my most intelligent conversations are with myself. And with my girlfriend. And sure, my ideas flip and flop. I compare them with each other. Trying to look at all sides. Keep an open mind. I'm brooding. That's what I call my blog. Broodings. Nothing more. Nothing less. I'm reaching my inner self. That's what all us need to do. Dig deep into ourselves. --Jim Broede

Donell said...

Not to seem rude, but your orginal post was that One vote doesn't make a difference. So I must say again you are doing flips and flops.

I am not here to argue with you. Its pointless. This is the internet. One whom argue's with its readers on the internet has issue's. If you write something and refuse to see the opposed is narrow minded. Possible that is exactly what happens here. You see nothing but your ideals.

Anonymous said...

" Broede's Broodings said....Doesn't matter if no one listens(to me)........"

So true. Anyone who spends any time at all, reading here, knows in an instant that these are ramblings, not broodings. Contradictions galore. Plus, when he is outwitted, or proven wrong, he resorts to name-calling.

But, when one has nothing else to do, it can be somewhat entertaining.

Donell, don't let him get under YOUR skin. You are right. That is what he wants. That is the only way he gets responses, except for his 2 invisible supporters, that would agree with him, if he claimed the world was square.
anon56

Broede's Broodings said...

The world is not square. But it is flat, dear Anon56. And one of my favorite New York Times columnists, Tom Friedman, will attest to that. He wrote a book to that effect. Did you read it? He presents a thesis that the world has become flat. Read it. I think you'll agree with him. --Jim

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I read it. Seems to go against your non-capitalists ideas, huh? Did you understand it??

Another prime example of....if it is someone you "like" speaking, it doesn't matter WHAT they say, you will agree with it.
anon56

Broede's Broodings said...

Yes, I understood it. Quite well. I understand lots of things. But I'm still learning. A whole lot. Daily. The more I learn, the more I recognize how stupid I've been. And still am. Oh, so much to learn. That's why I want to live forever. So that I never stop learning. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Aren't we all filled with contradictions? Don't we all flip and flop? Doesn't that happen naturally when we are feeling our way through life? --Jim