Monday, October 26, 2009

Savoring precious moments.

It's easier living at 74 than it was at 50. I remember being 50. I worried about things that I shouldn't have fretted about. I often got too far ahead of myself. Rather than living fully one day at a time. Maybe I was worried that I wouldn't live to be 74. That I'd die before my time. When I was younger, I should have spent more time counting my blessings. It was a good time. But I didn't appreciate it enough. I worried too much. Rather than fully savoring what I had. I had Jeanne. A healthy Jeanne. And I appreciated that. But maybe not as much as I should have. Jeanne's gone now. Died almost 3 years ago. But I have another love. And I appreciate that. More than one might imagine. I relish life and love more at 74 than I did at 50. I have a better grasp of what's important and meaningful. Life experience makes a difference. The fact that I've lived well beyond 50. That's amazing. Sure, it'd be nice to be 50 again, and know what I know now. But to turn back the clock would probably mean turning back my whole being. I'd be that same person over again. So I'd rather settle for what I've become today. At 74. Because I'm better at capturing and savoring precious moments. --Jim Broede

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every once in while I come to read what you are up to. You are hilarious and predictable. I used to get mad when you posted on the alz message boards but for some reason its comforting to come here and see some things never change. Keep it up.
This doesn't necessarily need to be a reply to this particular blog entry but to all of them.

Broede's Broodings said...

I hope you don't get mad anymore. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

You know, things do change. I keep changing. I'm not the same person I was 2 or 3 years ago. If you were more observant, you'd notice that. You've changed, too. You used to get mad. Now you come here and feel comforted. --Jim

Anonymous said...

I just meant people come and go but you remain....I don't have a loved one with alz. anymore. I still think about the friends I made and people I read about but I feel "removed" from that particular spot I was in. The sadness and frustration I felt I can recall vividly but I can also get a breath of fresh air because I DONT have to deal with it directly.
You haven't changed in the fact that you are still thinking all the time and blogging about lots of stuff. Maybe I am not very observant but I guess its just not THAT important that I know how you have changed or not changed. I am very observant of my own personal friends and family. Sometimes you make things sound like a put down, I guess I can't really tell with you if you are trying to offend or not. Or maybe you are not even realizing you sound that way. Writing "if you were more observant" makes it sound kind of like "if you weren't such an idiot"--is that how you meant it?

Broede's Broodings said...

I meant it just the way I said it. If you were more observant you would have noticed. That's not a put down. If I meant "If you weren't such an idiot," well then, I would have said exactly that. But I didn't mean that. I meant if you had been more observant. That's all. I'm not always all that observant myself. About lots of things. But I don't consider myself an idiot. It's just that I didn't notice this or that. Maybe because it didn't interest me. Or because I was preoccupied with something else. Or because I didn't care.

Maybe you are too sensitive. Anyway, I liked your little comment. I like it that you find me hilarious. As for being predictable, I'd like to think I'm not so predictable. That I'm full of surprises.

I hope you are getting on with your life. And that you are happy. I am happy and very much in love again. I wish the same good fortune for you. --Jim