Saturday, November 21, 2009

Acting like idiots.

I'm not always fair in the way I deal with people. Maybe because there's no such thing as totally fair. I could always do better. But I like to think I'm reasonable. That I allow for some give and take. Some people think I'm an idiot. And I concede, I am. In all sorts of ways. A romantic idealist, too. A free-thinker. A liberal. A lover. But also an idiot. A fool. A nincompoop. But I don't readily emphasize the latter roles. I try to pretend I'm not an idiot. Yes, hide the fact. Wouldn't you? That's the nature of people. They like to portray themselves in relatively positive ways. But I don't mind being negative, too. A cad, of sorts. I'm amused. At myself. But others, too. Because we're all the proverbial village idiot. We do stupid things. Only thing is, we want to portray ourselves as smart. As clever. And particularly, as good. And we prefer not to see the bad in it. But I've learned to accept the bad. In an attempt to make the most of it. By occasionally doing good. Only to discover that so-called 'good' has its consequences. Because good can be easily misconstrued as bad. And bad can seem to be good. Makes for confusion. And little wonder that we all often end up acting like idiots. And that's precisely what makes us idiots. --Jim Broede

No comments: