Sunday, November 15, 2009

Even Shakespeare.

I'm learning about Macbeth. The Shakespeare play. I majored in English. But I never fell in love with Shakespeare. But now I have a friend who teaches English literature. And she's focused on Macbeth at the moment. So I am, too. And I'm getting keen insights. This is the way to learn. It helps that I spent time last spring in Scotland. In the Highlands. With my friend. And this is where Macbeth takes place. On the Moors. In a castle. And so I've been there. The other night, I watched clips of Roman Polanski's Macbeth film. And I saw the familiar. And I saw great actors. Heard them speak the words. And then I read the words, too. Savored the words. And I read critiques. And I went to YouTube. And saw high school students perform Macbeth. And I watched more films. Of Macbeth in a modern environs. And after all these years, I have found Macbeth. In meaningful ways. I have learned to love. Even Shakespeare. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

It's never to late to learn. That's the wonderful nature of life. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

The most pleasurable and satisfying and compelling thing that I ever learned was how to love. But the nicest thing about it: there's always more to learn. --Jim