Saturday, November 7, 2009

Until I learned better.

I tend to rub some care-givers the wrong way. Especially those with Alzheimer patients. And particularly those who feel dreadfully sorry for themselves. I was a care-giver for my dear Jeanne for 13 years. To varying degrees. From full-time to part-time. In the last 38 months of Jeanne's life, I was an 8-10-hour-a-day care-giver. Didn't miss a day. Supplementing the care Jeanne received from professionals in a nursing home. That was the most sane approach. Because I got daily respite. And I was able to be upbeat and positive with Jeanne on a daily basis. Anyway, over the years, I took issue with crabby care-givers. Because for the most part, they aren't good for their patients. I've been a strong advocate of good vibes therapy. Because Alzheimer patients are more likely to thrive under low-stress or no-stress situations. And with positive stimulation. That's what I tried to do with Jeanne in the last three years. I'd play soft, soothing music. Hand-fed her in the quiet of her room rather than in the congregate dining area. Took her for daily outdoor romps in a wheelchair. Even in the wintertime. When I tucked her in a thermal sleeping bag. I also gave her a nightly shower and a body massage. I brought her home often. In a wheelchair. I took her for car rides into the countryside. I combed her hair. Oh, so many things. Most importantly, I learned to never allow her to see me angry or upset. And I talked to her in a soothing manner. Face to face. And yes, I took issue with some care-givers. For doing what I used to do. The way I treated Jeanne in earlier years. When I didn't quite understand that you don't expose Alzheimer patients to negative vibes, period. Ever. You find ways to cope. And to do the right thing. Some may say I lack adequate empathy for other care-givers. But that ain't so. Instead, I think it's more a case that some care-givers don't have sufficient empathy for their patients. That used to include me. Until I learned better. --Jim Broede

4 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

I'm leery of 24/7 care-givers. Even if they qualify for sainthood. There's a high risk of burnout. And costly mental lapses. Costly not only to the care-giver, but to the patient. Everybody really needs time off. Respite. Preferably on a daily basis. I could handle 8-10 hours. But not 24. Some 24/7 care-givers need intervention. Because they do harm. Albeit, they are well-intentioned. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Some people are not cut out for care-giving. Better that they recognize it and allow others to take on the responsibility. It's no shame to admit it. The shame is in not admitting it. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I'd like to see local social services organizations offer courses and training in care-giving. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I understand why some Alzheimer care-givers are annoyed with me for suggesting that they may be causing their patients harm. But hey, somebody has to stand up for the patients. They can hardly stand up for themselves. They are vulnerable. Care-givers are well-intentioned, I'm sure. But anyone that becomes overwhelmed and physically and mentally exhausted poses a danger to the self and to the patient. We shouldn't allow that to become an excuse for maltreating the patient. Let's find ways to give care-givers relief. Yes, help. It should become a societal obligation. --Jim