Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Beethoven speaking from heaven.

I like winter. That is, until spring is about to arrive. Then I like spring. And then summer. And autumn. Yes, that's about right. About three months. For each season. Of course, in Minnesota, the seasons overlap a little bit. We might have snow in October. Or even in April or May. But to make up for it, we sometimes, but rarely, have the 50s in January. I like surprises. Especially when it's a break from the frigid cold. Maybe I like winter because so many people don't like it. That spurs me on. To find reasons to like winter. For one thing, it's easier walking 10 miles in zero degree temperature than it is on a hot, humid day. Ah, a brisk walk. Makes one feel vibrant. Very much alive. And the wintertime air seems to be the most pure and clean. Cleansed in the arctic. But a summertime shower has a cleansing effect, too. And the thunder. Such dramatic sound. Like Beethoven speaking from heaven. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I lived in Florida for three years. And I truly missed winter. --Jim