Friday, December 18, 2009

A blessed bonus.

Everybody should have the blessing of living long enough to retire. In good health. I keep reminding myself. How lucky I am. To have lasted this long. In retirement for a little over 10 years now. Gives me so much freedom. To do things I want to do. Not having to report for work daily. I still work. Yes, at pleasure. At my pace. If I feel like staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning, I do it. Because I can sleep in, too. And I have time to cultivate a loving relationship. Yes, time to truly live. I associate with people who are still gainfully employed. Making a living. They often are stretched thin. Tired. Some of 'em are having fun. Like I was before I retired. But too many feel overwhelmed. Beleaguered. Unhappy. They aren't doing what they'd like to be doing. They have too many obligations. Too many responsibilities. But chances are, if they can live to retirement, they'll get their reward. A slower-paced life. Doing what they want to do. The sad part is that some of 'em die before they retire. Doesn't mean they haven't lived happy and productive lives. But hey, retirement is a blessed bonus. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

Come to think of it, every day of life is a bonus. Gives me another opportunity to get it right. --Jim