Thursday, December 31, 2009

It helps that I speak Canadian.

I'm no patriot. Probably never will be. I don't like to practice patriotism. Because I think it's mindless. And maybe even downright evil. Patriots tend to get carried away. And do almost anything for sake of country. For me, no country is all that sacred. There are things I like about the USA. But far from everything. In some respects, I think we're an evil nation. Especially when it comes to the practice of capitalism. The rampant greed. The exploitation of the masses. The ever-widening gap between the rich and poor. Of course, I like it that I have freedom of speech. But I need more than that to be a totally loyal American. I renounce many of our practices. Especially the racist elements. And I think there are nicer governments in the world. And when the Republicans are in power, I'm often downright ashamed of my country. We're disgraceful. But still, I stick around. In order to work for change. And to protest. I think that many Americans are stupid. Evidenced by the fact that we too often vote Republicans into the majority. And we even elected George Bush. Not once. But twice. And it wouldn't even surprise me if someday we elect Sarah Palin to the top office. That certainly doesn't give me much confidence in my country. If that ever happens, I might just pick up and flee. To Italy. Or Germany. Or maybe Scotland. Or New Zealand. Of course, it might be easiest to take off for Canada. I'm only a couple hundred miles away. Yes, safety isn't that far away. Maybe I could feel a little bit of patriotic fervor. In Canada. And it helps that I speak Canadian. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I was in Canada last summer. Without a passport. And that posed a problem when I returned to the USA. The border guards weren't sure they wanted to let me in. Maybe I looked like a terrorist. I suppose I should have taken off my ski mask. --Jim