Sunday, December 13, 2009

The role of a good father.

I'm happy that I didn't stick around the town in which I grew up. It would have been stifling, I think. Instead, I went away. And experienced other parts of the world. And made new beginnings. Yes, kind of nice to leave family and friends and moreorless start anew. Fresh. Tended to make me more independent. Of course, that was my choice. Others would prefer to stay in the same locale all their lives. Close to family. And there's something positive to be said about that. But it wasn't for me. And I think I made the right choice. For me. When I was raising my two step children, I encouraged them to be independent. To make their own decisions. To become self-sufficient. And to choose a course in life that makes them happy. I think that's the role of a good father. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

I was born into a family. With a mother, a father, a brother, a sister. From which I have been distanced. By death or by choice. But I still have a loose-knit network of relatives and friends and acquaintances that I consider family. People with whom I feel a kinship, of sorts. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

But the people I feel closest to are not blood relatives. --Jim