Monday, December 28, 2009

Teaching me how to love.

Maybe god doesn't want life to be perfect. Maybe god wants us to learn to cope with adversity. To deal with pitfalls. Heck, lots of things have gone wrong in my life. My dear sweet Jeanne had Alzheimer's for 13 years. My dad committed suicide when I was 13. Lots of sad things. But golly, in 74 years of life, I've had many, many times more wonderful experiences than bad or tragic happenings. I've experienced love. And happiness. Yes, grief, too. But it's all been a good learning experience. I'm happy to have lived. And I've learned to take life one day at a time. And savor each day. Even on bad days, good things happen. Alzheimer's taught me much about love. Put my love to a test. I learned how to love better and better. I learned patience. And acceptance. Maybe god was teaching me something. Maybe god was blessing me. Maybe god wanted me to figure it out. Maybe god was teaching me how to love. Rather than to hate. --Jim Broede

6 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

I'd not blame god for anything. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Yet god has become a scapegoat for much of the bad that happens in this world. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

We even blame god for diseases such as Alzheimer's and for the death of loved ones. Like it's god's fault. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Think about it. Maybe god created death so that we'd be better able to appreciate life. Just like darkness was created so we could see light. Without contrast, we'd be blind. Turns out, god is doing us favors all the time. Yet we berate him for many of the favors. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

God tells me he tolerates stupidity. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

There's ample proof. If god didn't tolerate stupdity, we wouldn't have Republicans. --Jim