Monday, December 14, 2009

Violence & the fantastic reward.

Maybe it's my imagination. But I sense that society is becoming more and more violent. Apparently, more people are deciding that the only way to settle grievances is by violence. By individuals. Used to be that we tried to settle our differences by nations going to war. A collective sort of violence. We'd invent just wars. But now we have individuals waging war. Like the nut that attacked Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi yesterday in Milan. Fractured his nose. And cracked two of his teeth. No doubt about it. Berlusconi is a cad. And he's going to trial on charges of corruption. And that's where these matters should be handled. In a court of law. But we have vigilante justice these days. A group of religious fanatics trying to mete out justice. Or in many cases, it's only a single individual. Maybe people are feeling that the system doesn't work any more. I wonder. If it's the beginning of a revolution. Individual acts of violence. As a replacement for collective acts. As an example, look at the proliferation of suicide bombings. Yes, individuals blowing themselves to smithereens in a crowded setting. So they can go to Valhalla or wherever and enjoy having sex with 62 virgins. I've heard of all kinds of excuses/justifications for violence. But that one -- the fantastic reward -- tops the proverbial cake. --Jim Broede

7 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

I've noticed, too, that violennce isn't limited to men. Women are becoming violent. I get threatened by women. They use vulgar and violent language with me. Right here in this blog. I'm compelled to censor 'em. Now, even some of the suicide bombers are women. Used to be that women in the American armed forces were kept out of combat. Not any more. I suspect many of 'em volunteer to be in combat. They're super patriots. Ready and willing to kill for their country. Just like a man. It's become fightening. Alarming. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Some women even leave their children behind. To go off to war. I'm not sure that's a trait to be admired. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Well, when I think about it, men leave their children behind to go off to war. So why not women? --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

But I tend to put a woman on a pedestal. Am I wrong in that? --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Oh, on second thought, maybe I don't put the snob ladies on a pedestal. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

The thing is, the snob ladies don't show me proper respect. They treat me worse than they treat Rodney Dangerfield. And he's dead. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Maybe I could be persuaded to put the snob ladies on pedestals. But the temptation would be to topple the pedestals. So that the ladies fall into a quagmire. I'm a little devil, aren't I? --Jim