Monday, December 14, 2009

Because I'm for the common good.

I suppose that from the selfish point of view, I shouldn't lose any sleep if health care reform fails to pass in the U.S. Congress. After all, I have adequate coverage. In that I have Medicare as my primary provider, and a private insurer for supplemental insurance. Yes, for the part that Medicare doesn't cover. And I'm able to pay for it all out of pocket. But I'm more fortunate than many Americans. Some of whom cannot afford health insurance. So I'm for universal health care. I want good health care extended to every American, regardless of income and circumstance. And under the present system, that ain't happening. Yes, I have mine. And my attitude could be, so why sweat it if others don't get covered? Well, I'll tell you why. Because I'm for the common good. --Jim Broede

6 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

Remember, there's often a difference between individual good and common good. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

The greedy capitalist on Wall Street is seeking what's good for himself. The individual good. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

Universal health care is a common good. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I see the narrowing of the gap between the rich and the poor as a common good. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I'm also prepared to argue that a single-payer health care system run by the government would be a common good. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

And health care for all is primarily a moral issue. --Jim