Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm falling in love. With Macbeth.

I'm gonna do Shakespeare one better. By rewriting Macbeth. And giving the play a happy ending. Instead of playing politics and coveting power, Macbeth could have had a happy life. Just by falling in love with his wife, Lady Macbeth. And living happily ever after. In splendor in the Scottish countryside. But no, no. Macbeth craved power. Wanted to be king. Maybe he had some slight qualms of conscience. But Lady Macbeth would have nothing of it. She chided her husband for not being ruthless enough. It was the manly thing for him to be ruthless. Like a modern-day, crazed Republican. The last thing she wanted him to be was another Barack Obama. A rare politician that tried to be fair to everyone. But Macbeth got caught up in his lust for power. That was his fatal flaw. Ruthless to the core. Sad. Sad. Sad. It didn't have to be. He could have chosen love. And his fate would have been much better. Anyway, I've been wrapped up in Macbeth. My girlfriend has me reading and contemplating and appreciating the genius of Shakespeare. I even attended a seminar at the local seminary today. The subject was "Power & Evil. Using Shakespeare and Scripture." The focus was on Macbeth. And in February, I'm going to a theatrical production of Macbeth. Meanwhile, I'm falling in love. With Shakespeare. With Macbeth. And the scene. The setting. The Scottish highlands. Which I visted last spring. It's all coming together. --Jim Broede

No comments: