Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The power of love.

Seems to me that many people have a rather shallow notion of love. That it's pretty much a guy and a gal, or for that matter two of the same gender, falling in love with each other. And having good sex. No. No. No. It's much more than that. One can fall in love with life. With all sorts of things. With nature. With your pets. With books. With music. Yes, with 1,000 things. I was more in love with Jeanne after she had Alzheimer's and we had no more sex than I was before the whole sojourn began. Because I found new ways to love Jeanne. Genuinely. Completely. The usual kind of sex act didn't have to be factored in. Love can be expressed in so many ways. Oh, sex is nice. No doubt about it. But one foregoes sex when your partner is deep in the throes of Alzheimer's. Oh, I was still physical with Jeanne. In that I gave her massages and showers and kisses and caresses and combed her hair and whispered sweet nothings. And it wasn't necessary for Jeanne to return the kisses and caresses. I was merely trying to make Jeanne relaxed and comforted. Without expecting to get sexual arousal. I just wanted Jeanne to feel loved. Despite the Alzheimer's. I wanted Jeanne to feel a closeness. A bonding. I wanted Jeanne to feel that I wouldn't abandon her. I wanted Jeanne to feel safe and secure. And because I was getting across to Jeanne, I felt like a lover. I felt sustained. I really felt wonderful. That's the power of love. --Jim Broede

No comments: