Monday, January 4, 2010

Would I die for anyone?

No doubt about it. I tend to be the center of my univesre. Everything radiates out from me. I don't see anything wrong with that. In that I'm relating myself to everything that I perceive. I keep asking the question, how do I relate? To my enviornment. To other people. To circumstances. I'm trying to figure out what life is all about. One might say I'm self-centered. But that doesn't mean that I lack empathy for others. Especially when I am in love. I don't know if I would have ever sacrificed my life for another. But I'd certainly make huge sacrifices for someone I love. I'd make many things, if not all things, secondary to the wishes of my loved ones. Giving one's life totally. Now that would be the supreme sacrifice. I like living. I love the nature of life. Therefore, I would be reluctant to give it up. For instance, I wouldn't want to die for my country. Maybe I would die to protect a loved one. But I don't love my country enough to die for it. When my Jeanne had Alzheimer's, I never considered abandoning her. Because if I did, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I genuinely loved Jeanne. But what if a doctor told me, "We could make Jeanne well again. If only you sacrificed your life. She can live. But you must die." Now that would have posed a real dilemma. For multiple reasons. But primarily because I really do treasure my own life. Anyway, I'm in love again. And my life really revolves around my loved one. I'd do a whole lot for her. Just to make her happy. And I'd protect her against harm. I'd come to her rescue if she needed me. But would I die for her? I don't know. I just hope I never have to be faced with that decision. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

Nothing surprises me more than my consciousness. My awareness. That I am. Absolutely incredible. Astonishing. But believable. --Jim