Thursday, February 18, 2010

I have a non-violent, loving cat.

Hard to remember when I last lived in a catless household. Probably more than 40 years ago. Must have become acquainted with about 20 cats. As many as five at a time. Down to two now. I've learned that every cat has his/her own personality. Never two the same. And only once did I have a cat that didn't find a way to fit in with the rest of the tribe. Had to find her another home in a single cat family. Sad. But it was for her own good. At the moment, I have the most loving cat in all of creation. I've named him appropriately. Loverboy. He wants loving. And he gives loving. Thinks he's human. Or maybe it's that I'm a cat. He follows me around. Virtually all the time. Now he's on a cushion atop my desk. Watching me perform. If I go into the bathroom, he'll follow. Never gives me privacy. When I take a shower, he even steps in, too. Sheltered by the shower curtain. He drinks the water from the bottom of the shower stall. And he doesn't mind getting a little bit wet. He grooms me often. And he sleeps with me. I brought Loverboy home about 3 or 4 years ago. From the local animal shelter. I thought my black female cat, Chenuska, needed company. A companion. So I announced that I needed a 3-year-old male cat, already neutered and declawed. "You got somebody like that, and I'll take him," I said. Sure enough, Loverboy was the only cat that fit my description. Guess we were fated to be buddies. Believe me, we are. Loverboy also may be the smartest cat in the world. He talks to me. And he understands English. Italian, too. And if he sees a squirrel out the sliding glass door of my studio, he'll follow his every movement. And when the squirrel scampers out of sight, Loverboy knows how to take a circuitous route into the living room, to fetch another look. Chenuska is too dumb to follow. Or maybe she's just lazy. Loverboy also is kind-hearted. He'll catch an intruding mouse. But he refuses to kill. He makes a friend and playmate of the mouse. Yes, I have a non-violent, loving cat. --Jim Broede

No comments: