Sunday, February 28, 2010

I'm enamored with life.

Generally, I like to do things my way. I almost insist on it in matters that matter. Such as writing. My blog, in particular. I do as I damn well please. Early in life, we're told what to do, it seems to me. Maybe because we don't know any better. We've been brought into a strange world. And we're just beginning to feel our way around. Then it began to dawn on me that I can choose just as well as the next guy. Even better than my parents and my teachers and my acquaintances. If I have any regrets, it's that I've listened to idiots too much. Suppose that's because I am an idiot. But the point is that I want to be my own kind of idiot. I don't want to be like the rest of 'em. When I was a teen-ager, I actually fancied being a Republican. My gawd. I was living in the gutter. I had no sense of decency. I was scum. But as I got older, I began to see the light. And now I've elevated myself to a superior level idiot. I even write a blog called broodings. Where I fancy myself to be a romantic idealist, a free-thinker, a liberal and a lover. I advocate a revolution. The overthrow of the capitalist system of American government. Oh, I don't want a violent overthrow. I'll settle for a peaceful one. But I'm also smart enough to know that I can't always have my way. That I'm not god. That I can't just snap my fingers and make things happen. But by golly, I think I've come a long way in 74 years. Give me a few more years, and there's no telling where I may end up. So far, I love it. I'm enamored with life. --Jim Broede

No comments: