Sunday, February 14, 2010

It probably hurts just the same.

Yesterday, 12 civilians were killed in the USA's renewed offensive in Afghanistan. A rocket went awry. Off target by 300 yards. Hit a home. And I guess wiped out a family. But I noticed that 25 insurgents were killed in the offensive, too. So we are killing insurgents at a rate of 2 to 1 over civilians. But that's the peril of war, I guess. When we kill civilians, it's by accident. When terrorists kill 'em, it's by design. I suppose that makes it easier for Afghans to take. Their loved ones were killed accidentally. Not intentionally. But I suppose it hurts just the same. --Jim Broede

3 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

Doesn't seem quite as bad when the 12 that were killed were Afghan civilians rather than Americans. They're remote. We don't know 'em. No reason to grieve, right? Wonder if the dead included children. The news report didn't mention ages or names. Better they remain anonymous strangers. Wouldn't want to lose any sleep over this. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

If I were covering this war, I'd write about the 12 Afghans. I'd try to write a tear-jerker story. It would be pretty easy to do. These were real people. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I wonder what the civilian death toll was in the Iraq war. We'll probably never know. I'm sure there are some very sad stories. But we'll never read or hear 'em. We don't wanna cry. --Jim