Monday, February 1, 2010

It would change my life.

I like to be an extremist. Just for the heck of it. That doesn't necessarily make me an extremist in practice. I merely take an extreme position. To put it to a test. Theoretically. For instance, occasionally I think about being able to walk on water. To perform the seemingly impossible. I think it's possible. Because I choose, even with the absence of proof, to believe that anything is possible. Yes, merely because I want to believe it. But I don't go ahead and actually perform the rare feat. Because I really don't want to. And if I did, nobody would believe me anyway. Another thing. If I did, and people watched me do it, and became believers -- well, I'd get lots of publicity. And I'd become famous. And I don't want celebrity. Because it would rob me of privacy. It would dramatically change my life. For the worse. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

Einstein was an extremist. In terms of belief. He thought it was possible, at least theoretically, to travel from Earth at an astounding speed, and return 1,000 years later in elapsed Earth time, and not have aged. If one can do that, walking on water would be a relatively easy feat. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I suppose our theoretical god could do all this. And people believe in god. So why can't one believe in god allowing us to walk on water, too? If only we truly wanted to. --Jim