Monday, February 1, 2010

They'll elect almost anyone.

Only once did I hold public office. A long time ago. From 1971 to 1974. A three-year term on the school board. I don't know if I did a good job of it. Or a bad job. Or something inbetween. But I'd probably do it differently today. Because I learned a lot. On hindsight. I'd try to cooperate more with my fellow board members. Oh, I'd continue to dissent. To be a minority of one occasionally. To stand up for principle. And I'd continue to be pro-labor. Especially pro-teacher. I'd want them paid more. Appreciated more. I found it interesting that school board members that come from the ranks of labor often switch sides. They begin to fancy themselves big-time managers. Out to cut costs. And in essence, they adopt anti-labor stances. They forget their roots. In labor. I never did that. I don't know if that would have cost me had I wanted a second term. I didn't run again. Because I had better things to do. I had my taste of local politics. And once was enough. I wasn't born to be a politician. Maybe because I wouldn't covet a second term. I'd just plow ahead. And burn my bridges, so to speak. I'd not necessarily take positions framed to get me re-elected. To make me popular. I'd try to do the right thing. And work for the common good. I may not take the popular course. And I'm sure I'd offend my share of constituents. All this makes me wonder. How did I ever get elected in the first place? Maybe it's living proof that people are pretty stupid. They'll elect almost anyone. Even me. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

My school board voted 5-1 to hire a particular guy as superintendent. I was the dissenting vote. Turns out I called the guy and convinced him ton turn down the job. The board never forgave me for that. --Jim