Monday, March 8, 2010

A right...and not a mere privilege.

I want good-hearted private capitalists to form a non-profit health insurance company. To make available health insurance at the lowest possible cost. Equal to or less than the cost of the government-run Medicare program. Is that possible? I assume it is. If the company decides to operate with barely any profit at all. Imagine that. I'd immediately start to change my attitude toward capitalism. To a more positive one. Another alternative, of course, would be for the government to offer Medicare to everyone. Young and old alike. Yes, universal health care. My guess is that one way or another, the present monopoly of health care insurers would find a way to block it. Because it wouldn't be long before they lost business. The competition would be too keen. They'd have to significantly reduce their profit margins. Maybe to almost nothing. But that's exactly what I want. I want affordable health care for everyone to be a right...and not a mere privilege. --Jim Broede

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blue Cross/Blue Shield IS a non-profit. What a joke! it doesn't work!

Broede's Broodings said...

The thing is, even the non-profits make profits. It's all a sham. So many ways to hide the profits. The same goes for free lunches. No such thing, right? --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

How is it that some corporations pay less taxes than I do? --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I'd call that a free lunch. --Jim