Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The wonders of being a speck.

I wonder why I should care about what happens in Washington. Or for that matter, in most any part of the world. In the realm of politics or economics or social matters. Chances are, it's gonna happen. And I won't have any influence on any of it. Other than infinitesmal. Take the health care reform debate, for instance. What will happen will happen. I could flee to a desert island for the next 3 months, and just tune in when I return, and get the lowdown. But here I am, wasting my time, so to speak, writing about what I want to happen. As if I have influence. In the grand scheme of things, I have no control over outcomes. I'm tucked away in my little corner of the world. And that's all I am in the big picture. A speck. But I am in direct touch with several other minute specks. I have influence over them. And they have influence over me. They make me feel alive. And quite happy. Actually, even in love. I get my comfort and solace from others. And even when I'm alone. Because even then, they are with me. In thought, if nothing else. So I reflect. About the wonders of being a speck. --Jim Broede

No comments: