Monday, March 29, 2010

To be a fool. In love.

I don't mind being a fool. In fact, I rather like it. Gives me a sense of being free. Of being confident. Able to take risks. Chances. I suspect many people are hampered by the fear of becoming a fool. So they play life in an overly safe manner. When I fall in love, I become a fool, of sorts. I'm ridiculous. For instance, when I was courtin' Jeanne a long time ago, I decided that I had to see Jeanne for 1,000 consecutive days. So even when I was sick, I knocked on Jeanne's door. Just so I could see her for a few seconds. Then I went home to my sick bed. Turns out I saw Jeanne for a lot more than 1,000 straight days. In almost 40 years together, we were separated for maybe a week in all. That's a lot of togetherness. And so many opportunities to be a fool. In love. --Jim Broede

No comments: