Tuesday, March 30, 2010

When the curious meet each other.

I think I like people. More than I let on. Mostly because I'm naturally curious. Maybe too curious to make people comfortable. I'll try to get to know a stranger. Right away. Maybe it's my training. As a writer for newspapers. I had to interview strangers. People I had never met before. And I had to be inquisitive. To get my job done. I'm really fascinated by people. Genuinely fascinated. Occasionally, I like someone right from the start. The vibes are good. I used to think I was shy. And maybe I am. But if so, I've overcome it. By stirring my curiosity. Telling myself not to miss an opportunity to get to know someone. In meaningful ways. I like people who tend to open up. The expressive ones. That share themselves. They aren't afraid to express an opinion. But they also are good listeners. They are curious, too. That's a nice combination. Two curious people meeting each other. It doesn't come much better than that. --Jim Broede

No comments: