Monday, March 29, 2010

Without love, it's not worth living.

I made up my mind long ago that I can live happily under many different kinds of circumstances. Under a right wing or a left wing government. Under capitalism or communism. Under a dictatorship or a democracy. I know it’s more or less necessary to follow certain rules and customs. No matter where I’m stuck. I guess the only freedoms I want guaranteed are the right to fall in love and to be able to think what I want to think. Even though I may not be allowed to publicly express my opinions. Yes, I could still be relatively happy that way. So maybe life really boils down to the pursuit of happiness. And to me, there’s no higher state of being than to be in love. Oh, it may be necessary for me in some societies to withdraw into my cocoon to live the way I want to live. But that’s all right. As long as I’m allowed to fall in love. As long as I can have a one-on-one loving relationship. Oh, I’d probably object if I were imprisoned and tossed into solitary confinement in a tiny cell. But maybe I could adjust if I were exiled to a desert island. Where I would have some freedom to move about. I’d still have freedom, I suppose, to appreciate nature and to think. To contemplate. To even talk to god. Which means I would never be totally alone. In other words, I’m somewhat flexible. I have many potential ways to pursue happiness. But the one ingredient which I need most is love. Some sense of love. Without that, it’s probably not worth living. –Jim Broede

No comments: