Sunday, April 18, 2010

Learning to accept my fate.

I venture into many domains. Without fear. Even into places inhabited mostly by unhappy people. I don't know exactly why I do it. Maybe it's because I'm intrigued by unhappiness. And its cause. Often, I understand. For instance, on the Alzheimer's message boards. The morose. The depressed. Even the suicidal are there. Being a care-giver to an Alzheimer patient isn't easy. Especially if it happens to be a loved one. And I try to spread cheer. Hope. No, the patient ain't gonna get better. They all get worse. And die. But I suggest, put it all in perspective. We all die. Sooner or later. Some deaths, of course, are more gruesome than others. But still, dying is dying. It's the price we pay for the privilege of living. At least, most Alzheimer patients live to a ripe old age. Many into their 80s and 90s. Let's say it happens to me some day. I'm 74 now. Life has been pretty good. Should I lament the fact that I have to die? Some day. Fact of the matter is that I have no choice. So I gotta try to learn to accept my fate. And meanwhile try to live a reasonably happy life. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Maebee said...

I think I read this somewhere before....