Monday, May 31, 2010

I won't be around to lament.

I'm amazed. That there's so much incompetence and greed in the world. Yes, a multi-national oil company called BP, aka British Petroleum. With the technical know-how to drill for oil a mile beneath the sea. With no idea of how to contain a catastrophic oil spill. If by chance it occurs. But, so what? It's worth the risk. In the minds of incompetent and immoral BP executives. Because there's a potential for a huge cash return. Yes, I'm amazed. Because now the worst-case scenario is unfolding. It's a man-made environmental disaster that can't be any worse than if a hydrogen bomb exploded. I'm amazed. Because in the end we'll just live with it. And hold no one responsible. And just go about living life as if man-made disasters are inevitable. Just as inevitable as war. But maybe I shouldn't be amazed. That we human beings haven't got our act together. And never will. So maybe I'll have to accept the inevitable. We're gonna destroy our Earth. Sooner or later. But I'm gonna be an optimist. And assume the end won't be in my lifetime. Only soon thereafter. And thank gawd, I won't be around to lament. --Jim Broede

No comments: