Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm learning to live in slow motion.

I'm a slow learner. That's why I need a long life. It takes so long for me to get things right. Because I'm slow. I'm learning to take my time. To not be in a hurry. I should have been kept behind in the first or second grade. Flunked. Required to take the year over. It would have given me more time to get the gist of what I was supposed to learn. I didn't learn what I should have learned in elementary school and high school. I really didn't get with it until my college days. And then I would have been better off if I had been left behind for a year or two. Or I should have taken 6 years instead of 4 years to earn a degree. I was raised in a home where we seemed to have to get everything done yesterday. Rather than today or tomorrow. Hurry. Hurry. Hurry. Perform. Perform. Perform. Juggle. Juggle. Juggle. One really is supposed to live at a leisurely pace. That doesn't make one lazy. Instead, it gives one time to learn. In a smooth and leisurely way. I was raised to try to do too much. And to do things fast. Deadlines. Little wonder that I went into newspapering. Because I had deadlines to meet. That seemed the natural way of life. Daily deadlines. One had to get things done. And often that meant hurry up. Don't take time to savor what one is doing. Just get it done. Post haste. I suspect many of us are caught in the same trap. We put too much of a burden on ourselves. We need to slow down. Let some things slide. We aren't running some kind of race. We are supposed to live. To enjoy life. To make it last. Best way to do that is to live in slow motion. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

People keep reminding me that the tortoise won his race with the hare. --Jim