Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A price worth paying.

I'm so liberal that I even allow myself to be conservative. On particular matters. In other words, I'm flexible. I don't allow myself to be locked in. That's how I define liberal. I'm able to move about. To change my mind. To even contradict myself. I think a true conservative is locked into a particular view. Won't budge. For the most part, I'm willing to give and take. Yes, to budge. But occasionally I hold hard and fast. Yes, I become sort of a stubborn, bull-headed conservative. Just to see what it feels like. After all, to truly and fully understand a conservative, I have to imagine myself being one. I know it's a horrific feeling. Requiring me to abandon common sense and principle. And to genuinely feel stupid. But it's a price worth paying. Because it helps teach me the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, night and day. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I started out life as a conservative. But I gradually became more and more liberal. One might call it enlightened. --Jim