Friday, May 7, 2010

So I can hear more Beethoven.

I was 16. When I purchased the phonograph record. Of Arturo Toscanini conducting the NBC Symphony Orchestra in Beethoven's Symphony No. 9. That was probably the start of my classical collection of 33 1/3 records. Some of 'em are still around. But not this actual record. Instead, I have the performace on a compact disc. And I listened a little while ago. And it brought me back to the spring of 1952. Shortly after the performance was recorded at Carnegie Hall in New York City. I think I paid $5.95 for the record at Geyer's Music Store in Watertown, Wis. That was a lot of money then. Maybe equivalent to $50 today. But, oh, what enjoyment. I must have played the 9th hundreds of times. Probably completely wore out the record. I'm not as keen on Beethoven symphonies today. Though I still like 'em. But I'd rather listen to the string quartets. Anyway, it was nice reliving 1952. Wow! That was a long time ago. I'm happy to have survived this long. So I can hear more Beethoven. --Jim Broede

No comments: