Saturday, May 22, 2010

We can out-zany 'em all.

When I think Republican now, I think Rand Paul, Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin. Indeed, that's a motley crew. Weird. A better comic act than the Three Stooges. Almost unbelievable. But I'd like to believe that they are a godsend for Democrats. Of course, I could be wrong. If they prove to be attractive to a majority of Americans -- well, then we're in big trouble. They are outlandish comic book characters. In a sense, I can't believe they are real. I have to think they are all part of a put-on. With the likes of loonies Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. They act as if they are serious. Esposing far, far right wing views. Such as wanting to allow racial discrimination in private sectors. And to label as un-American criticism of BP for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Indeed, they verify daily that there's reason to suspect that some Republicans and Tea Party faithful are stark-raving mad. Lunatics. The scary thing, of course, is that they are being taken seriously. By far too many Americans. Paul even won the Republican U.S. Senate nomination in Kentucky. I'd like to think these characters won't ever reflect majority opinion in the USA. But then, who knows? We Americans have a history of being befuddled. Doing strange things. Such as electing George Bush to two terms. But these characters are to the far right of even Bush. They are crazier than crazy. But in my lifetime, I've seen some pretty crazy characters come to power. In Germany. In Italy. In Libya. In North Korea. In Iraq. In Iran. In Burma. Yes, a lengthy list. So, why not America? We'll show the world. We Americans can out-zany 'em all. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I see that Sarah Palin announced today that Rand Paul must be getting the idea of how it feels to be like Sarah Palin. That he's getting the same treatment from the media that Palin gets. And by that, she means unfair treatment. Well, it seems to me they're being treated esentially like goofballs. Because that's what they are. They are as goofy as me. Only I'm goofy on the left. And they're equally goofy on the right. If you put those of us of similar ilk in a room to work out a political compromise, the logical conclusion would be to meet somewhere in the middle. But both sides (extremes) are too stubborn and entrenched to do that. So we continue to make jackasses of ourselves. Sarah Palin, Rand Paul and yours truly -- we're all jackasses. But I'm the only one that knows it and openly acknowledges it. --Jim