Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What do I have to complain about?

It's the nature of our economic system. To make money. At the expense of other people. And at the expense of the environment. The rich want to keep getting richer. They never have enough. Most people are willing to settle for less. For the basic necessities. For a decent life with a handful of fellow human beings. I see the gawd-awful statistics. Like the 1 percent of the richest have more wealth than the so-called bottom 95 percent. And the richest 5 percent wield the power. They control the government. They control the decisionmakers. And therefore, they control politics and the economy. And really the rest of us just sit idly by. We feel powerless. Because the system is rigged. I sit in my little cocoon in Minnesota, and I accept the destruction. The rape of the environment. I get indignant. Like many of you. But I feel helpless. Because BP will get away with this. And we ordinary people will pay for the clean up. Which will take decades. And many people along the gulf coast will lose their livelihoods. It's a sad state of affairs. And it'a all due to a system of politics and economics that allow the few to dominate and exploit the many. Maybe in the end it'll take a bloody revolution. And even then, the exploitive few will find a way to prevail. But hey, I have my consolation. I'm in love. And I expect to be in Europe this summer. With my love. So, what do I have to complain about? --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

Still, another consolation. I can write in my blog. Express myself. My opinions. May not do the world any good. But at least I have my say. Even if there's no one to listen. Or maybe god is eavesdropping. And maybe not. Really doesn't matter. I have my forum. Out here in the wilderness. Better to be here than on the gulf coast. --Jim