Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gawd. I loved writing about it.

I was a sportswriter long enough to cover particular amateur teams for entire seasons. Yes, from beginning to end. And that convinced me that winning seasons are shaped just as much by the mind as by raw physical talent. The most talented team often doesn't win. Because it lacked something on the mental level. An attitude. Confidence. You've gotta believe you can win before you actually win. I loved to watch and write about teams that gained confidence during a season and worked together. That had camaraderie. And truly believed they could go all the way. That was fascinating. And I wrote about it. And I think some teams believed their press clippings. As a sportswriter, I think I was part of the confidence-building team. I'd dramatize what was going on. The unfolding of a good story. I'd emphasize the importance of a particular game. Very much like a coach. Or I'd portray a particular player as a hero. It works on the high school and college level, and on the amateur level in general. Sports competition often becomes a separate world. A story in itself. Unfolding. Chapter by chapter. Building. To a crescendo. To a conclusion. To success. Or near success. And sometimes, failure. And the fans become involved. Emotionally. They wish for the perfect storybook ending. Reason to celebrate. To feel joy. Over a team's achievement. Gawd. I loved writing about it. --Jim Broede

No comments: