Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I'll never know. I flunked math.

I've never liked math. It was my least favorite subject in school. I much preferred English and History. Math always seemed too rational. Too logical. Too much like a rigid system. With math, numbers are supposed to fall into place, or so it seems to me. Using math, one can figure out the whys and wherefores of life with equations. One could even communicate with aliens from another world. By using math. Or so I'm told by mathematicians. I prefer carrying on dialogues in other ways. In unmathematical ways. In illogical ways. But still, I have to give grudging credit to mathematicians. For being able to figure out that light travels at 186,000 miles per second. And that the outer reaches of the universe are billions of light years away. But still, I wonder if mathematicians are pulling a hoax. And it ain't nearly that far. I'll never know. I flunked math. --Jim Broede

No comments: