Friday, June 25, 2010

It's sink or swim.

On the Alzheimer's message boards, I read posts from care-givers that say they are losing their minds. That they find it almost impossible to cope. And that's sad. They are being pushed beyond their human limits. They wonder what to do next. And frankly, I don't know what to tell 'em. Often, I just draw a blank. I say nothing. And maybe what I would have to say would sound silly. Such as take time off. Retreat. Get rest. Respite. Daily. In many instances, that's easier said than done. But hey, if the care-giver dropped dead, somebody would have to step in to resolve the care-giving situation. To care for the patient. Anyway, that's why care-givers have to learn first and foremost to take care of themselves. Or they'll be no good to anyone. And how does one do that? My guess is that there's no one single answer. One just has to find a way. It's sink or swim. --Jim Broede

No comments: