Friday, June 25, 2010

One must learn to adapt.

I have plantar fasciitis. Sounds pretty serious, doesn't it? Mostly, though, it's painful. It's an irritation and swelling of the thick tissue on the bottom of my right foot. That's serious for me. Because I generally feel compelled to walk 6 to 10 miles. Daily. I'm told that's what may have caused plantar fasciitis. I'm not supposed to walk so much. At least for a while. In some respects, I have no choice. Albeit, I went out and mowed the lawn today. Slowly. And with some support. Holding on to the lawnmower. It was painful. But not excruciatingly so. Actually, it felt a little better at the end than at the beginning. Conservative treatment is almost always successful, given enough time. Treatment can last from several months to 2 years before the symptoms get better. I'm to take anti-inflammatory medications. And do heel stretching exercises. And walk less. The latter assignment will be most difficult. I may have to start focusing on upper body exercises. Also, less exercise means I'll have to be more careful watching my diet. That could be a blessing. I've lost 2 or 3 pounds already. One must learn to adapt to the pitfalls of life. Not the least being something I never heard of a few days ago. Plantar fasciitis. --Jim Broede

No comments: