Saturday, June 26, 2010

Making people less of a stranger.

I've noticed one thing about a blog. Almost all of the interaction is with strangers. Complete strangers. And people who stay anonymous. So we proceed with limited information. About each other. But generally, the reader of my blog knows far more about me than I know about them. I don't know if that's good or bad or indifferent. Just a fact. For instance, I use my real name. And I talk about myself. And sometimes things going on in my life. I don't mind that. I tend to be open. Because I made my living most of my life as a writer. For newspapers. With bylined stories. That made me visible. And I had to deal with strangers. Daily. I'm not very secretive. Maybe because I've always encouraged people I deal with to open up. Politicians. People in the news. People of general interest. For one reason or another. Yes, I was in the information business. Keeping people informed. Keeping myself informed, too. I think I chose the right profession. Because I have an innate curiosity. I like to know what's going on. Especially behind the scenes. And why people do what they do. Yes, I like to cultivate strangers. Learn what they are all about. So they become less of a stranger. --Jim Broede

No comments: