Thursday, June 3, 2010

So that I can savor it all.

I know many people who love life. In their own ways. Many of 'em like to burn both ends of the candle, so to speak. To cram a lot into their lives. They do lots of extra things. Maybe some of it out of a sense of obligation. Or responsibility. For which I admire them. But I wonder if some of us try to do too much. If we push ourselves too hard. Too far. I think I used to do that myself. Took on more projects, more responsibility than I could adequately handle. And so maybe I ended up doing some things in a half-assed manner. In other words, when I felt rested and relaxed, I began to ask myself, "Am I doing enough? Am I taking it too easy? Am I becoming lazy?' Anyway, I decided I had to set priorities. That I couldn't accomplish everything I wanted to accomplish. And that I couldn't be all things to all people. So I began to treat myself better. In the process, I treated other people better. I truly learned how to love people. And life. And myself. I've slowed down. Mellowed. So that I can savor it all. --Jim Broede

No comments: